Johnson's '08

Johnson's '08

Monday, May 5, 2008

Sweet Isabel


This is my sweet little Isabel. She is so sad because school is ending soon. She loves to go to school. She likes her friends and loves her therapists. She is going to miss them so much...and I'm going to miss the routine. Summers at our house are extremely hard because we don't have a perfect schedule like Isabel wants. If anyone has ideas for us they would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to update you on school for Isabel next year. Marcus and I attended her yearly IEP(Individualized Education Plan)on March 17. We meet with all the dedicated teachers who have been helping Isabel at school. We also meet with the school principal. As we discussed her and the accomplishments she has been making we mentioned to the team that we were going to keep her home next year and send her to a private preschool instead of kindergarten. We also talked about our frustrations with losing her therapy and the fear we had of her regressing. Marcus and I know that she is not ready for kindergarten. She struggles academically and behaviorally. We feel waiting one more year would give her an advantage. The wonderful team told us that if Isabel didn't pass kindergarten that she would be able to repeat it or the other option would be to send her to 1st grade the first half of the day and kindergarten the second half. We felt so relieved knowing that. Isabel is registered to start kindergarten in the fall at West Bountiful Elementary. We are so grateful for the public school system and the dedicated team that Isabel has worked with over the past school year. They truly want her to succeed.

1 comments:

Gandalf said...

You are an incredible person!! I marvel at you and others in our circle of friends that have to fight for your children the way that you do. I watch all of you in your struggles to help give your children a voice and to help the world understand what amazing children that you are blessed with and I am continuously amazed at your strength. I have nothing to say other than, "Know that there are people cheering you and your efforts on. There are many who will benefit from your strength, not the least of them is your own sweet daughter." Much love!!